Detecting a Leak
How to Report a Gas LeakTo report a natural gas odor or emergency, leave the area immediately, call 911 and then call us 888-482-4950.
- If you smell a rotten egg or sulfur-like odor in or around your home, at work or in your neighborhood, this odor may be the result of a natural gas leak.
- Natural gas is colorless and odorless, so we’ve added an odorant called mercaptan to warn you of a natural gas leak.
- When outside: Blowing dirt, persistent bubbling in puddles or standing water or dead vegetation in an otherwise healthy area are signs of a possible leak around a pipeline.
- When inside: If you see a yellow flame instead of a blue flame on your range, furnace or water heater, it’s a warning sign that the natural gas is not burning properly.
- This can lead to an increased potential for carbon monoxide poisoning as well as higher fuel bills.
- An unusual noise like a hissing or roaring sound can indicate a leak on a pipeline. If you hear a hissing noise around your natural gas piping, meter or appliances, or if your natural gas appliance fails to ignite, you may have a natural gas leak.
- Natural gas is flammable and can be ignited by heat, sparks or flames.
If you smell gas or have any of these warning signs:
- LEAVE the area immediately.
- DON'T use electrical equipment.
- CALL 911 and Kansas Gas Service at 888-482-4950.